IMMIGRATION & VISAS
International students wishing to study in New Zealand must have a current student visa or permit. Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/assist-migrants-and-students/assist-students
International students must meet the requirements of Immigration New Zealand to study in New Zealand. Students must secure accommodation prior to arriving in New Zealand, as this will be a requirement of their visa.
With many countries New Zealand has agreements which mean a student does not need a visa for a course less than 3 months in duration. For the locations of a New Zealand Immigration office near you click on the following link:
If you have a Student Visa, you may be able to work part-time, up to 20 hours per week, and full-time during scheduled holidays. Check your visa – it will show if and when you are allowed to work while you are studying in New Zealand.
For information on minimum wages and labour conditions in New Zealand please go to www.employment.govt.nz/hours-and-wages/pay/minimum-wage/minimum-wage-rates
To obtain a student visa, you have to be enrolled in an approved course at an educational institution that has been accredited to offer that course.
You can apply online for your visa from www.immigration.govt.nz/
- Your application will need:
- A recent passport-size photograph
- Payment of a non-refundable application fee
- An offer of place from an educational institution, which states that you have been accepted by the institution, the name of the course, the minimum time required to complete the course, and whether a course fee must be paid or the student is exempt from the fee (e.g. scholarship students). This will be sent to you by the institution confirming your enrolment
- Evidence of sufficient funds to live on while you are studying (currently NZ$15,000 per year or NZ$1,250 per month)
- A return air ticket to your country, or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one
- A valid passport. If your application is approved, your passport must be valid for 3 months after your planned date of departure from New Zealand
- Financial documents
- Educational certificates
- Evidence of having a comprehensive medical, travel and contents insurance policy which meets New Zealand School of Tourism's approval.